Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Bible-Believers and Politics

The past few days I have invested considerable time thinking about letting the Bible confront our political ideas and bias. I'm biased, I'll admit. After talking with a friend who pastors a nearby Bible-believing church, I crafted my morning sermon around an exposition of Isaiah 59.

I think verses 14-21 of Isaiah 59 give something like a two-pronged solution to a society where God's moral standards do not prevail in the public square.

For the last 10+ minutes of the sermon, I mentioned issues that I think require our attention if we are to let the Bible confront us and guide our political priorities. I also listed distractors.

My pastor friend, Greg, told me he needed to devote a good bit of his sermon to convincing believers that they should vote (I think disillusionment had set in with many). Then, Monday I had the privilege of discussing political "neutrality" with a couple of guys from a different religion. I'll confess that I flirted with pacifism in college, but the arguments for pacifism, I'm convinced, are flimsy for Bible-believing Christians. Regrettably, I did not convince those two men to go vote on Election Day (nor to drop their questionable religious convictions).

I voted today - not straight ticket.

Finally, a bit of my bias: Justin Taylor linked an article from the Wall Street Journal's site by Andrew Wilson that dispels "Five Myths About the Great Depression." Wilson tersely makes the case that free-market principles did not cause the Great Depression. I've never heard his take on the Great Depression! I was taught that Hoover was to blame and FDR was the hero.

No comments: