Thursday, January 31, 2008

Taking the Plunge!


The picture has nothing to do with this post!
Earlier this month, a friend of mine (with a marvelous name, whose blog is linked to the right) pitched the idea of running in the mini-marathon that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival. He has asked me to join in his torturous games in years past - I've declined at least a couple of mini-marathons and a half-Iron Man! I also declined an offer from another friend, Ben (linked to the right) to gear up for a race this last fall. I wanted to run some race in the twelve months after my stroke (I'll post on that sometime), but I only made it up to seven miles at a time that year.


So, I've been training for a couple of weeks as a "trial run" before I dropped the entry fee today. It's been cold and windy for better than half my days, but that has strengthened my resolve. And don't worry, I bought some expensive running shoes with Christmas money (which I'm only supposed to use for running?) and a fancy $5 running shirt from Target. I'm set.


But here's a small tribute to my buddy, John Mark: you convinced me to sign up for my first race. You eased me into drinking black coffee (and there's no going back, I think). You asked me about my marriage and gave good advice before you were married. You have been a great encourager, an honest, humble and very discerning friend. I miss you, brother.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun! I used to jog in some races in Austin. When is the race and how long is it?
(I'm sure you were hoping for some comments on the global warming post...but I'm not up to that.)
And, happy late birthday.

jm said...

The race is April 26th in the heart of Louisville. John Mark H. is running the full marathon even though he sold me on the half marathon (=13.1 miles). It will definitely be the furthest I have run in one 24-hour period.

john mark said...

Your words ring further than you could possible imagine. Thank you. jmh

Unknown said...

Good luck with your running, John Mark! I had a dream today (ironically during a nap) that I was exercising. Shouldn't that count as actually burning a few calories?

Laura said...

silly katie...you must have been exhausted when you woke up.