When it comes to politics, I believe principle should reign in our constitutional government. I am not as widely read (or as current on breaking stories) as you few who actually read our blog. I have started checking a blog by a couple of law profs to supplement my limited perspective. One of them, William Stuntz, contributed a two-page reality check for party-loyalists among both major parties. I enjoyed it in some sense. Feel free to comment on our blog or to go right to the source.
Stuntz's article
I just realized a minute ago that The Weekly Standard (which I have never read until just now) is owned by Rupert Murdoch's organization, which also owns Fox, Zondervan (which publishes the NIV of the Bible), and some major soft-pornography publishing in Europe (or so I've been told), among other things. That doesn't sit well...
2 comments:
I've restrained from commenting thus far, but am now yielding (even though my political views are not shared by my extended family).
I thought Stuntz made some good (conservative) points, but disagree strongly with his statements on Iraq, e.g.,
`It is no longer possible to say with a straight face that the war in Iraq is as good as lost, or that the "surge" is a flop.'
If it was wrong for us to go into Iraq in the first place (it was) then it's wrong for us to remain there (it is). It's not a matter of whether or not we "could" win, it's a matter of whether we "should" win. It's not our country, it's theirs.
The bottom line is, if you took oil out of the equation we would never have invaded Iraq. It distresses me that we have sacrificed 4000 American lives (and maybe ten times that in Iraqi lives) in order to maintain our oil "fix". One can make an analogy to a cocaine user who reverts to stealing to support the habit.
I have made fun of single-issue voters in the past, but I am close to being one now. Give me a president who will look for a way to get us out of countries where we do not belong, instead of one who relishes such involvement.
Thanks for reading the article - and for your comments.
Since this is still (as of today) a private blog, I appreciate open discussion. If we ever make this a public blog, I might remove political references from posts and comments - so as not to attract too much attention from surfers.
Post a Comment