I need some help. I began a "young adult" Sunday school class 18 months ago (or more), and I am hitting some walls. Less than two years after we started, only one of the original members of the class still attends. We have gone through Wayne Grudem's paper back summary of Christian beliefs (=theology). We have watched a video series by Rick Warren and Chuck Colson about worldview, reading a book by George Barna in conjunction (Beltway Park graciously sent me the materials). Interspersed among these we have had stand-alone studies on faith, Christian growth and maturity, surveys of parts of the Old Testament, how to share the gospel, etc.
A few times we have planned movie nights at our house or another's, but these have not been as popular as I would have hoped.
Our young adults (say, high school graduates through 40 years) are generally the least consistent bunch in our little church. I know a few of them want to know God more and to enjoy refreshing friendships with other believers. I want to facilitate that. Sunday school is not getting the job done. I'm not getting the job done. One guy who had not come (except to Sunday morning worship service) in about a year came at the beginning of the worldview series, got his book, and has not come back to Sunday school. I don't think this guy or the others who don't come are to blame. Why would anyone want to put effort into a group that does not catch their interest or facilitate the connections that add joy to the week?
I started looking around online for good resources for Sunday school. I'm reading books and hoping to get some fresh ideas from you about strategies that might work better than Sunday school.
4 comments:
Have you read The Emotionally Healthy Church? I'll give you my copy. It's not something you want to study with your group, but it gives a good perspective.
And can I put in a word for not blaming yourself for the Sunday school group?
May I state the obvious? Pray. Then ask some older adults who care about this age group to do the same. Build relationships. Have a couple over for dinner or game night. Try to get to know them outside of the structure of SS. Go to their stuff. If they play city league softball, go to a game. Think about them like youth... just a little older.
Thanks for the comments! I have The Emotionally Healthy Church, but I have not read it. And for the other advice - it does not go without saying. I need to pray for them more. We have done movie nights and meals together, etc. We have talked about fasting a meal together to support World Hunger Relief.
We just started a book from LifeWay's Threadsmedia division called "Chase the Lion" by Mark Batterson. I had seven request a copy and four came the first Sunday. The content is good - it's challenging me!
jm
Good comments above. Trying to connect with them where they work and play is a great way to win the respect of our generation. What about giving them some responsibilities on Sunday morning? Give them responsibilities following up with visitors, or helping serve the church and the community (give them ideas and then go with them until they catch the vision).
What's your goal for these folks? Is it to get them connected with LMBC? Is it to learn Scripture more? Is it to grow in Christlikeness? Is it to experience healthy relationships and grow in maturity through authentic community? All of the above are valid, and maybe should be pursued. But knowing where you're wanting to take the group, casting that vision (over and over again), and convincing them to buy into it is probably a good place to start.
Our generation is typically uncommitted...at least that is what I've run into. "More important things" come up all of the time, and regularly gathering with the church is pushed to the wayside. Don't kick yourself because this ministry's not taking off...it's really tough, especially when there are so few 20-somethings who attend LMBC.
Post a Comment