My 200-year-old church has not made a sizable impact on our community in a long time, maybe never. So, I'm usually interested in biblically sound strategies for growth, for revitalization or whatever else.
I like Mark Dever's work on restoring a pure church. Ed Stetzer's work on restoring a missionary mindset to churches is challenging and practical for my situation.
To the mix I add Eddie Hancock, a missions director for the baptist convention in Nevada. Because the shuttle bus was full after the last session of the SBC, Eddie had to sit by me on the way back to our hotel. We talked about the Lord and our service in the kingdom, and I was intrigued by the task of reaching Nevada with the gospel.
Eddie said his experience has been that many Southern Baptists from the South have trouble adjusting to and connecting with people in Nevada's culture. So, instead of relying too heavily on outside leadership for churches and church planting, Eddie and others are trying to train leaders among Nevada natives.
"How many men in your church have a steady diet of the Bible besides what they get from your sermons?" Eddie asked me. My guess would be pretty small - maybe single digits. So, how can we train leaders of churches with that sort of minimal personal effort among men? Eddie suggested what is called Life Transformation groups (suggesting the "edgy" author Neil Cole).
LTGs have three parts and no more than three members who meet for 1 hour weekly to: (1) discuss high-volume Bible reading each member has completed for the week [each reads the same chapters as the others]; (2) pose accountability questions to one another [using any number of prying lists out there about spiritual health and discipleship]; (3) pray for specific lost people.
Disciples edify one another by discussing the Word and life. They also pray and focus together on reaching others with the gospel. It becomes normal to talk about Jesus and to build relationships based on trusting one another. When a fourth person comes along, the one TLG becomes two with two members each. It seems excellent to me!
5 comments:
Why is Neil Cole edgy?
LTGs are great, but they take a lot of commitment. I'll pray for that!
Sounds like a great idea. Who do you think will take you up on it? Who would you like to be a part of the group (obviously, it would be great if every man were an active part of the group, but who would you especially like to see as a part of it?)? How will you convince those who don't sign up that this is vital to their and the Church's growth?
Just a couple of thoughts. I'd also like to know what you thought of this year's SBC. I haven't been reading the blogs much, just Stetzer's, a little.
Neil Cole is edgy because he seems to have an impatience for church polity (the polite way to avoid using "politics" and church together); LTGs cannot substitute for New Testament offices and guidelines.
As for LMBC, I think the only accountability group in existence (so far as I know) will embrace LTG strategy. I can pull one, maybe two guys into a group with me. Then, we'll need to multiply and prepare for commitment issues. Since each LTG never has more than three members, there is potental for every LMBC member to be persuaded to join one with at least one person he/she trusts.
As for the SBC...I enjoyed it more than the others I've attended. I put more effort into engaging in every way. I was...
Suprised that Johnny Hunt won the presidency in the first ballot;
Impressed with messengers that Tom Ascol's amendment passed (about repenting of dishonest statistic reporting and recommiting to practice discipline);
Challenged by NAMB's New Evangelism Initiative for 2020;
Amused by Richard Land (as always)
Impressed with Frank Page's attitude;
Amazed by the IMB's report about the increase in international baptisms 100% over a decade ago and about church starts increasing 800% over a decade ago
Over-stimulated by the exhibit hall (especially the sale books)
I found the Wesley brothers' accountability questions online. The story goes that the "Holiness Club" at Oxford would meet together to put these sorts of questions to one another.
1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
3. Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?
4. Can I be trusted?
5. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?
6. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
7. Did the Bible live in me today?
8. Do I give it time to speak to me everyday?
9. Am I enjoying prayer?
10. When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?
11. Do I pray about the money I spend?
12. Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
13. Do I disobey God in anything?
14. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
15. Am I defeated in any part of my life?
16. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?
17. How do I spend my spare time?
18. Am I proud?
19. Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?
20. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
21. Do I grumble or complain constantly?
22. Is Christ real to me?
Post a Comment