I just emailed a friend about figuring out what God wants us to do in life. I think there are two (complementary) ways to approach knowing God's will. I'll share:
existential (aka "subjective") - It comes down to *confidence* based on some thought, some dream, some godly desire or passion that drives what you do and where you go. I think it overstatement to say such "feelings" are always or even usually the Spirit of Christ; but he's with us and he has a personal influence on us. Maybe his influence comes to our awareness (1) by using our personality & already conscious inclinations, and other times (2) by introducing new or foreign ideas/desires.
inductive (aka "logical") - This is theological work combined with honest, personal reflection. Scripture tells us that God expects _(fill in the blank)_ of me; am I becoming such a person? Am I doing those things "heartily, as unto the Lord" himself? Going through a list of God's revealed expectations for a man in my situation with my responsibilities can establish parameters - "fences, goads, and rewards along God's path for me" - that can show me I probably am OR certainly am not walking down God's path for my life.
If I am inside the revealed parameters ("fences, goads & rewards") God has revealed in Scripture for someone in my situation, then I can assure my restless mind that my Shepherd will not let me wander so far off course as to miss his specific plans for my life. He's too kind to conscience such a thing.
Unfulfilled dreams, desires, passions, directions from others, etc. might be Jesus' voice leading us into a new path, but they should not become barbs and thorns that stick in our hearts to make us suspect that we've missed God's plan for us. Maybe even I made some promise in my past about what I would do or become - a promise that would cause me to hop the fence, kick against the goads, or ignore God's rewards. Jephthah (Judges 11) was not honorable for keeping his foolish vow to the Lord.
Those unfulfilled motivators might be to prepare me to see and pursue future opportunities the Shepherd has planned. If those unfulfilled motivators have me wondering about the past only ("What if I had..."), I might need to let them die, so that I can live and prepare for what's ahead.
Remember, Jesus is kind. He loves us better than and prior to any of our loves. Who can be against us?
What do you (our illustrious 3 readers) think?
2 comments:
Isn't that the question of the century? I believe that God has a destiny for each of us, and that as we seek Him daily and seek His Kingdom FIRST, that we walk in His will. He is faithful to lead us in the way we should go, and as long as we stay so focused on Him and His heart for us and those around us, He will keep us in the center of His proverbial will. Love ya'
Thanks for the love - we like that around here.
You expressed well what I would call the "inductive" approach to knowing God's will. Your confidence is based on who God has revealed himself to be - based on the Bible.
I/we must start there; within biblical parameters, God often (I think) gives me/us extra direction - be it a godly desire/ambition, an "invading thought" that seems credibly from God's Spirit, godly counsel, or just an opportunity that fits with how God has designed me (or you).
The "existential/subjective" approach is the one that needs to be tied to good, biblical thinking. My experience is not the final word on this stuff!
That said, I'm thinking about friends of mine who relate to God (1) like he's a blabbermouth whose written work is secondary, or (2) like he's a mute author.
Post a Comment