Isaac Watts (1674-1748) is known to me because of his hymns (Joy to the World, When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, etc.). I found a fascinating little story in a short biography.
Watts (a young pastor with an earned doctorate) proposed marriage to Miss Elizabeth Singer; she politely declined. She reflected on her reason by saying of Watts, "I loved the jewel, but I did not admire the casket which contained it." Watts was short (5' 2" at most), not handsome, and often sick. He took this pretty hard, but he wrote a magnificent prayer (reminds me of 1Cor. 7:25-35)
How vain are all things here below!
How false, and yet how fair!
Each pleasure hath its poison too,
and every sweet a snare.
The brightest things below the sky
Give but a flattering light;
We should suspect some danger nigh
Where we possess delight.
Our dearest joys, and nearest friends,
The partners of our blood,
How they divide our wavering minds,
And leave but half for God!
The fondness of a creature's love,
How strong it strikes the sense!
Thither the warm affections move,
Nor can we call them thence.
Dear Saviour, let Thy beauties be
My soul's eternal food;
And grace command my heart away
From all created good.
1 comment:
I LOVE this poem. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Post a Comment