Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Armor from God: Who's Got My Back?

If you've been around evangelical churches a few years, I imagine you have heard about the armor of God that Christians are supposed to put on our person. Maybe you have heard the observation that usually is shared with appropriate gravitas: all the parts of the armor are for the front part of the body. Therefore, the observation goes, God has designed Christians always to be on the offensive, never to retreat.

It occurred to me this morning (call it an impression, maybe) that God inspired Paul to describe the armor from God at the end of the letter to the Ephesians. The previous parts of the letter address our vulnerable spots. First, the Spirit of wisdom and revelation guides us into knowing the Lord, transforming our inner man. Also, the unity of the Spirit among those who belong to Christ is the basis for speaking the truth in love to one another. It's not that I am a lone soldier who must always be on the offensive in order not to be vulnerable (though there is something to that idea); the picture is more like I'm one soldier in the ranks of God's army, and to attack my vulnerable spots the enemy must break through the line of Jesus' mighty saints.

Hey Christian - whose back you got?

1 comment:

Greg Taylor said...

Great insight. I also think you asked the final question the best way. Too often we ask, "Who's got your back?" giving the picture that you go to church because you're needy (which is true, but most people feel they can make it alone). When you ask, "Whose back you got?" it emphasizes that the church body is about giving and receiving. When we realize that other people need us (I think) it heightens (or maybe awakens) our own needs as well.
Not to mention it seems to bring out the offensive nature of the armor - I need to be looking for brothers/sisters to stand beside - not who's gonna help poor me?