Thursday, March 4, 2010

Teaching My Children


Wesley walked up to me and said, "Jonah was sinking down, down, down..." I guess it is a line from a song or something he has learned. I grabbed the Jesus Storybook Bible and turned to the story about Jonah. We read it, talked about he pictures, and discussed some of his difficult questions (Where's God?).

We thumbed around to Jesus' baptism to talk about where God is, the temptations of Jesus, then looked at which ever pictures that caught his attention.


A couple of observations:
1) When 'teachable' moments come, I need to be ready. That means I might need to stop what I'm doing. It definitely means that I need to be familiar with a good kids Bible and the big truths that aren't so obvious from the pictures (like, Where is God?).

2) Children learn what they hear often. I don't want my son singing Beyonce or Cold Play. I want him singing "I Want to Be Like Jesus" or the thing about Jonah that started our conversation today. I keep meaning to pick up a good baptist catechism so that my son and I can discuss those big ideas, too. Reading him the Bible is indispensable, of course.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Hey! We use this same Bible with Phoebe every night!! It's really good stuff, but tonight she was too tired for me to read, so she ripped the page right down through Joseph's rich, colorful robe!! :( We're hoping that God will enable her mind to memorize this book by the time she's four, hehehe...