Thursday, May 27, 2010

Learning Theology for Cancer

Last night I presented my Wednesday faithful with a defense of creeds and confessions (which have always been contested by some Baptists in every generation).

“We have no creed but the Bible,” sounds pure, but it implies that the Bible can mean anything to anyone, just as long as each takes his cues from the Bible. The trouble: this opens the doors to heretical interpretations of the Bible.

I found this in my class notes from Prof. Shawn Wright's Baptist history class:

Asa Chandler (1849): “What harm can creeds do if they contain the truth? Is the truth less valuable because it is published, or declared in a creed? . . . Creeds that do harm are those that contain error—not those that are founded upon Bible truth.”

Then I listed the usual topics in theology (Scripture, God, creation, sin, etc.). I showed examples of deriving a biblical truth about one of these topics from different types of Scripture passages.

Finally, I gave a few examples of theology preparing us to live.

The Story of Zac Smith from NewSpring Media on Vimeo.

No comments: