Sunday, April 19, 2009

a Missionary Command


These are the 3 martyrs from Malatya, Turkey of April 18, 2007.
This morning I taught on Matt. 5:43-48 - Jesus' famous command to "love your enemies." I think it only makes sense if we hold it together with: (1) Jesus' commission to his followers to spread the gospel and (2) Jesus' prediction that his followers will face opposition because of Him.

Putting this into a single directive: "As you proclaim the gospel and call on all kinds of people to repent, you will find many who push back at you - love those people. Welcome them with the same kindness your Creator & Judge showered on you while you were his enemies."

"Love your enemies" is a missionary command.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, JM. I like the connection between us loving our enemies in the same way that our Creator/Judge loved us while we were still enemies.

Keep up the Kingdom work, brother!

Ben