Saturday, November 17, 2007

Suggested Reading




At a conference in 2006, I received a paperback Bible with a yearly reading plan in it. At the time, I was in the habit of slower, more deliberate Bible reading. I took the chance on the reading plan, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it for 18 months or so. This summer I found that Crossway Books/Good News Publishers has the reading plan available online for free. I quickly gave my hard copy to a student (whom I hope is using it). The ESV site has nice search features as well as the audio of the entire Bible - read by a nice, rich-voiced Brit.

I just figured out what an RSS feed was, so I thought I would put it here (top right corner) for both of you who check our blog more than once a week. Now you know (some of) what Wesley and I are reading. We're a couple of days behind in the plan, and we are only reading the Old Testament and Psalms right now (because that is how I've used the reading plan on my own). I decided that I could either separate my personal pursuit of God from time with my son, or I could bring him along on the journey. The second made more sense. I can't wait until he begins asking questions! In the mean time, he will not (nor will I) understand everything. We are finishing up the judgments against the nations at the end of Jeremiah, so I tell him basic truths about God's position as Judge of his Creation. "We must each answer to our Creator for how we have lived." I'm hoping the good news about the Savior who died as a Substitute for us will make sense to him at a young age!


One other thing - because I want to encourage you who read this blog to get better acquainted with the God of the Bible, I'll make a standing offer: if you try out the daily reading chapters and want to discuss them or if you would like tips for benefiting from what you read, just put a comment on one of our posts - or email me/Laura if you like. You might have an idea I've never had, you might not agree with my idea, or we might all be stumped by some of the things written. But I guarantee that each of us will profit by attending a bit more to the Bible.



No comments: