Listen to people's advice, evaluate the content, and apply everything that's good.
I've received plenty of advice in my few years. Even though I am a leader in a church, I still receive condescending advice decently well. Yet sometimes people get to me, exposing my pride by giving me advice I don't want or advice I don't want to receive from those particular people.
This attitude has the potential to disqualify me from leadership in the church. Paul's regulations for overseers in the church at Ephesus included this: "He must not be a new convert, lest he become puffed up [with pride], leading to the [same] condemnation experienced by the devil [i.e., for pride]" (1 Timothy 3:6).
Refusal to receive advice is a mark of pride. It is particularly common in younger people, well-educated people, and people accustomed to high positions.
Don't get offended by condescension. Listen for truth and appreciate people - even if they don't express themselves in a refreshing manner. Don't fall into the same condemnation the devil received. God opposes me when I'm proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment