Sunday, August 8, 2010

When Church Is Boring

Church gatherings, Bible studies, sermons, Christian books, and much more of church life are supposed to teach you information. That's their primary purpose. At least that is the impression you might get if you talk about the quality of a church with a seasoned church person.

1. What if the message at church this morning is something you already know? That means you could have stayed home - or at least it means that the message is for someone else. I've heard this idea expressed by not a few church members.

2. Why do congregations even need to gather if we can learn the same truths from a book, a TV program, or even a podcast. The chances are high that you can find almost any truth better articulated from some source other than your local church. If church is mainly about learning new truths, it would make much more sense for us to all use the best resources.

3. Since we've moved to TX, I don't think I have learned anything new from the sermons or Bible studies. In fact, sometimes I found different minor points to be not as 'on point' as I might like. Even so, I have been encouraged and refreshed every place we have visited. One major reason: experiencing love from others and from the Holy Spirit.

4. Much of the information provided us in Scripture is familiar but has not transformed our hearts. Known truths unapplied mean we have deceived ourselves, and we are left bored with truth. This is dangerous on several counts. What should be done? We must meditate on familiar truths - mull them over in our minds, asking God to shine light into our haziness. Boredom with a truth is a gracious warning sign.

2 comments:

Greg Taylor said...

Good stuff. I so appreciate your insights.
The gracious warning of boredom is a wise word. I'm sure that fits in with 2 Peter 3.18 growing in grace and knowledge of Jesus - though I doubt exactly what Peter had in mind there...

johnmark said...

Wow. Great quote, "boredom with truth is a gracious warning sign."